Q & A: NHVR Fatigue management tips July 2021 from The NHVR
Q.) I’m doing local area work so don’t have to use a National Driver Work Diary—what other records do I need to keep?
A.) Drivers who are doing local area (up to 100km) work and are operating under standard hours are not required to use the National Driver Work Diary but must still record details of their work and rest times and provide these to their record keeper.
Local area records must include:
- driver’s name and contact details
- driver’s current driver licence number and the jurisdiction in which the licence was issued
- dates on which the driver drives a fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle
- the registration number for each fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle the driver drives
- total of the driver’s work times and rest times on each day on which the driver drives a fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle
- total of the driver’s work times and rest times for each week during which the driver drives a fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle
- Do work and rest limits apply to me if I am using local area records?
- Work and rest limits apply to local area work in a fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle.
Q.) Do work and rest limits apply to me if my vehicle is not a fatigue regulated heavy vehicle?
A.) Drivers of vehicles between 4.5t and 12t are not required to adhere to prescribed work and rest limits however they must adhere to legal safety duties and not operate a vehicle while impaired by fatigued.
Q.) What address do I change in my work diary if I change residential address?
A.) For compliance purposes, the only address that may require updating in the work diary is your base and record location. It could be possible depending on your employment circumstances that your residential address is also your base and record location, however, if these locations are not the same, you do not need to specifically update your residential address in the work diary.
Taken from The NHVR Newsletter: https://www.nhvr.gov.au/news/2021/07/14/fatigue-management-tips-july-2021?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=On+The+Road+Issue+118+-+15+July+2021&utm_content=nhvr.gov.au%2Fnews%2F2021%2F07%2F14%2Ffatigue-management-tips-july-2021&utm_source=comms.nhvr.gov.au